All Meeting Minutes

1995.09.28 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday September 28, 1995

September 29, 1995

MINUTES

Cal Sailing Club

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, September 28, 1995. Commodore Scott Hotes presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:30 PM. In attendance were Scott Hotes, Veronique Anxolabehere, Narcisse, Dan Acland, Louis Benainous, Stephen Gehlbach and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance were members Peter Kuhn, Rebecca Haussmann, Brian Howell and Sylvaine Guille.

The meeting was preceded by a lecture on "GPS and Other On-Board Electronics" by John Drewery.

Congratulations go to Robert Ofsevit, who became the Club's newest Senior Skipper shortly before the meeting.

As of September 16, 1995, the Club has the following sums of money in their respective accounts:

Checking $23,100

Money Market $19,100

Treasury Bills $40,000

Total $82,200

Membership Chairperson Report (Rebecca Haussmann)

Membership Cards. Prior to the Committee reports, Rebecca asked all members on the Executive Committee to review the existing membership application cards and provide comments on what parts of the form could be deleted (i.e., if the member can swim), and if any new data entry should be added (i.e., e-mail address). Rebecca will accept comments in her folder at the Club, and will then have the form revised and printed.

REPORTS

Commodore's Report (Scott Hotes)

Outboard Engines. The two new outboard engines (a 5 HP and an 18 HP Nissan outboard) were purchased and have been received. All the rescue skiffs are now in good working condition.

Halloween Event. Scott met with the Marina lease-holders group this morning. They will be hosting a Halloween event on 28-29 October on the "Hawaiian Chieftain". The subject was discussed in more detail later under "Agenda Items." 

Vice Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere)

Veronique had no items to discuss under her report.

First Vice Commodore's Report (Narcisse)

Outboards. Narcisse had to resolve some problems in purchasing the two new outboard engines. There was a mistake on the billing for one of the engines; Narcisse cleared up the matter and we were credited $775. Two 18 HP outboards were mistakenly ordered by two different people. One was ordered from West Marine, and one from Port Supply. The Port Supply one arrived first, and the West Marine order was canceled. The 8 HP outboard was repaired and was picked up last Saturday.

Dinghy Status. The Lidos are getting repaired very quickly now when damages occur. Lido #7 is down right now, but will be repaired this weekend. The new Lido jibs are not in yet. We had agreed to pay extra to receive some of the jibs earlier, but it appears Pineapple Sails has not completed them as promised. Scott will check into it.

Receipts. It was noted that Patrick Twohy complained that people were not properly filing their Port Supply receipts. The people who charge there (Narcisse and Dan) will make sure they follow procedure.

Second Vice Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere for Olivier Colliou)

Windsurfing Equipment Status. We have a very large, functional windsurfing fleet due to recent acquisitions and donations. We have seven Senior boards, seven Junior-Plus, two Junior, and twelve Novice.

Windsurfing Lessons. Regular lessons will be provided on Saturday mornings. Someone will always be scheduled to teach. Scott noted that the windsurfing lessons should be advertised in the upcoming Floating Bottle.

T-shirts. Olivier is almost finished with his design for a Club windsurfing t-shirt, and will be done with it next week. Scott noted that he should have the t-shirts made at a different place from where we last had t-shirts done, since we were having problems with the firm.

Third Vice Commodore's Report (Dan Acland)

Ensign Mishap. One of the Ensigns was damaged in a recent Friday night race. The accident was the fault of the skipper of the other boat, who agreed to pay for the damage. The only damage was a cracked toerail near the stern. Dan initially told Graham Hale (the skipper) that he could not sail any Club boats until both this boat and the other that was damaged while he was skipper (the dismasting of Dewey) are repaired. Dan later retracted this penalty based on Graham's good faith in proceeding with getting the boats repaired. He and Graham took the mast pieces to Sausolito where they will be spliced together. The mast should be done in a week or two, and we will then put on the hardware here at the Club.

Rear Commodore's Report (Louis Benainous)

Teaching Status. Louis noted that there appeared to be plenty of Saturday morning teachers, but had not heard how the weekday lessons are going.

Treasurer's Report (Patrick Twohy, via e-mail dated September 16, 1995)

Port Supply Receipts. See discussion under the First Vice Commodore report.

Money Market. Patrick expects to move $10,000 from checking to the Merrill-Lynch money market account soon as he does not foresee any major expenditures in the near term.

Port Captain's Report (Stephen Gehlbach)

Dayleader Status. We now have five working Dayleaders. Louis noted that we appeared to have a lot of good Dayleaders now.

Membership Cards. Stephen noted that we should always have a constant supply of membership cards available since it creates so much work for the Dayleaders when we run out.

Secretary's Report (Bill Csajko)

Bill had no items to discuss under his report.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Floating Bottle (Sylvaine Guille)

Upcoming Issue. The next Floating Bottle will be sent out around October 15. The main article will be on women and sailing.

AGENDA ITEMS

Operating Rules. Review of the recommended changes to the Operating Rules is now over. Only one member, Robert Ofsevit, provided comments. The comments were discussed by the Executive Committee, and, although found to have some merit, were not incorporated into the changes. Peter Kuhn moved to approve the proposed changes to the Operating Rules as prepared by Bill. Dan seconded the motion, and it passed by unanimous vote. Bill noted that we have a significant number of printed Operating Rules, and a decision should be made to either distribute them without the changes (which could last through the winter), throw them out and reprint (which would waste a significant amount of money), or print an addendum to add to the old Operating Rules books with the changes as passed. It was decided to print the addenda.

Halloween. Scott stated that every Halloween the Berkeley Recreation Department puts on a Halloween event for children. This year they are doing it in conjunction with the Berkeley Marina, on 28 and 29 October from 5 to 9 PM. The "Hawaiian Chieftain" will be decorated, docked at the location where the ferry docked after the 1989 earthquake, and a large tent will be set up nearby with food vendors. Cal Sailing Club was asked to help out. The Berkeley Yacht Club is also helping. Ideas on how we could help (supplied by the group organizing this and some by Scott) include: making cotton candy, dressing up as pirates and "attacking" the "Hawaiian Chieftain" with boats, supplying a PA system, setting up a pumpkin patch, and having a live parrot. Dan will talk to the people with the "Hawaiian Chieftain" to see if they are amenable to having their boat "attacked." We were also asked to give away coupons to every child (there may be hundreds) for something free. Scott agreed to give away coupons for free rides, which will be valid during the Open House in November.

Waiver of Liability. Stephen brought up whether we should put a liability disclaimer on the membership applications for people to sign, since Cal Adventures has one and we seem to be in a litigious society. Dan noted that adding such a disclaimer may be more complicated than it appears, since Cal Adventures added it only after much consultation with their lawyers. Scott decided it was too big an issue to resolve at this meeting, and said he would call a lawyer he knew for some advice.

Upcoming Executive Committee Elections. The next elections for the Executive Committee will be held at the General Membership Meeting on Thursday, November 2. The Floating Bottle will be used as the method to notify members of the meeting, and it will note that only members in good standing (paid up) will be able to vote. Bill will run for the position of Commodore, requiring someone to run for Secretary if he wins the election. Stephen said he would run for Port Captain again only if a good candidate is not found to replace him. Barbara Roos will not return as assistant Third Vice Commodore, but Dan will run for the Third Vice Commodore position again. All other incumbents in the other positions have agreed to run again. A letter will be sent to prospective candidates asking them to consider running for any office on the Executive Committee, to try to increase interest in the Executive Committee and increase competition.

Dinghy Replacement. Louis thanked Peter for getting the Capri 16.5 to the Club for a trial sail. It does not appear the Capri 16.5 will be considered any further as a potential replacement dinghy, due to problems controlling the boat in strong winds and the amount of effort required to right it when capsized. Peter will compile all comments on the boat and provide them to the dealer. Schock intends to provide us with a new Lido to test sometime next month. A group went to Lake Merritt to test sail the Hobie One-14 (keel version) to try it out. Dan noted that it was built strong, was slow, and was as big as a Lido in the cockpit. He considered it worth looking into the centerboard version. It was decided to get a group to go to Sacramento on Saturday, October 14, to test sail the centerboard version of the Hobie.

Midnight Madness. A "Midnight Madness" party will be held on Saturday, October 7.

Outreach Sail. Veronique received a call from Joe Chan, who represents the Charity Cultural Service Center in San Francisco. He asked if we could arrange rides for the children in their program sometime in October or November. They would have about 40 children and 6-8 adults. Veronique will look into having it set up some weekend, probably a Sunday afternoon, with both keelboat rides and some sort of Lido racing.

Club Haul-Out. Veronique is planning a "Club Haul-Out" in October or November, where one weekend will be set aside to thoroughly clean the Clubhouse, including painting the interior and possibly putting in some flooring and getting some better filing cabinets. The tentative dates will be November 11-12.

Potential Sexism in Club. Bill stated that he heard of a female member of the Club who felt hesitant in coming to the Club due to the "macho" attitude of members and Dayleaders, and she felt that women were ridiculed if they made mistakes. Bill asked if anyone else had heard of or experienced similar problems, being that this would be a serious problem if true. It was noted that a former Dayleader had a very negative attitude toward people, and that the current Dayleaders were much better. Some examples of sexist remarks and sexual harassment, from both firsthand and secondhand accounts, were discussed. There was considerable discussion on the scope and significance of the problem in the Club, with no clear consensus. It was agreed, however, that there was a need for female role models in the Club to encourage other females to achieve higher ratings in the Club. Sylvaine Guille noted that the next Floating Bottle will discuss females and sailing, and Veronique noted that she has been thinking about forming an all-female team for the Friday night races next spring.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:15 PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, October 12, 1995. A lecture on "Sail Trim" will be presented by Peter Baczyk prior to the meeting at 6:00 PM.