All Meeting Minutes

1995.11.02 - General

GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING
Thursday November 02, 1995

November 3, 1995

MINUTES

Cal Sailing Club 

The general membership meeting of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Berkeley Yacht Club on Thursday, November 2, 1995. Commodore Scott Hotes presided.

Preliminary Meeting

A short meeting of the Executive Committee was held prior to the general membership meeting to discuss the acquisition of replacements for the Lido fleet. The meeting was called to order at 6:10 PM. Executive Committee members in attendance were Scott Hotes, Veronique Anxolabehere, Narcisse, Olivier Colliou, Dan Acland, Louis Benainous, Stephen Gehlbach, and Bill Csajko.

Scott stated that he wanted to have the membership vote on whether we should buy eight new Hobie One-14's to replace the Lido fleet. Dan discussed his and Bill=s test sail of the One-14 last Sunday on Lake Natoma near Sacramento; the main intent of the trip was to test the ability to right the One-14 after a capsize. The winds were light, so the sailing conditions did not reflect those in the South Sailing Basin in the summer, but it appeared the One-14 sailed much like a Lido. It was very easy to right the capsized One-14 compared to a Lido.

Stephen asked about the ability to repair the hull. It was noted the One-14 has a foam core, but that the new Lido also has this design. Narcisse asked about storage of the anchor and other things; we may have to have it modified if unable to affix to the deck. Louis asked if we would need new trailers; we did not know if this would be required, but new trailers would probably cost $1,000 to $1,500.

Dan stated that the cost for the One-14 is $4,295 plus $300 freight. Dan noted that the centerboard has a spring instead of a downhaul line, which, if it breaks, can be a problem. He also stated that Hobie wants to put away the One-14 mold for about six months while they manufacture another line of boats, but they are willing to produce some boats One-14's now if there is sufficient demand. The dealer is reluctant to allow us to purchase just one right now for testing, but has not made a firm commitment on that yet. It would probably take about two months to manufacture and deliver one or more One-14's to us. That time, with the six months of non-production, would preclude us getting a fleet by next summer if we decide to purchase just one at this time, assuming we could do so.

We discussed why we need to replace the Lido=s at this time. Everyone agreed that at least some of the Lido=s are unsafe due to the effort required to right them after a capsize. Louis stated that he thought that this is due to poorly supported centerboard cases. There was a difference of opinion as to whether the need to replace the Lido=s necessitated us making a decision right now to purchase the One-14's. Concerns stated by those opposed to the purchase include the lack of a test sail of the One-14 in strong wind and wave conditions, insufficient information received from the dealer, and uncertainty as to whether we really need to replace the fleet by next summer. Those in favor of the purchase stated that we have sufficient information at this time to make an informed decision, based on the two test sails, the sturdiness of the design, and the positive opinions stated by those organizations that own the boats; and a need to replace the fleet by next summer. The preliminary meeting ended at 7:10 PM.

General Membership Meeting

The general membership meeting was called to order at 8:30 PM. A quorum of the membership was not in attendance (37 members attended out of a total of 294, whereas a quorum for voting would be 59). Executive Committee members in attendance were Scott Hotes, Veronique Anxolabehere, Narcisse, Olivier Colliou, Dan Acland, Louis Benainous, Stephen Gehlbach, and Bill Csajko.

REPORTS

Commodore's Report (Scott Hotes)

Vote. Scott noted that we did not have a quorum to elect officers. To fill the positions, a vote will be held, with any officer retiring or voted out of office resigning at the next Executive Committee meeting, and the remaining officers voting in the members selected through tonight=s vote. It appears there is only one contested office, and both candidates concur with this method. Steve Kingsley stated there may be certain functions the new officers could not perform if not officially voted in by the membership. Scott reviewed the By-Laws and noted there is nothing that would preclude this action or reduce the ability of the officers to function in their capacity.

New Seniors. Scott announced two new Seniors since the last General Membership meeting. Robert Ofsevit is a new Senior Skipper, and Xavier Leleu is a new Senior Windsurfer.

Events. Other significant events since the last meeting include the Midnight Madness, the Halloween pirate attack on the AHawaiian Chieftain@, and our Club taking two first places in the Friday night races. 

Vice Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere)

Commendation. Veronique commended Scott for the wonderful job he performed as Commodore.

Floating Bottle. Veronique commended Sylvaine Guille, Robert Ofsevit and Mark Hurty for their work in publishing the Floating Bottle. The target audience for the Floating Bottle is members seeking their Junior ratings. Veronique plans to strengthen the publicity of the Club.

Clubhouse Cleanup. The Clubhouse will be thoroughly cleaned up on November 11 and 12, including painting the interior.

Outreach Sailing Event. The Club will provide rides to about 40 children and 9 adults from the Charity Cultural Service Center in San Francisco. There will be both Lido races and rides on keelboats. We will need support from both Junior and Senior Skippers.

Female Racing Crew. Veronique hopes to set up an all-female racing crew to represent Cal Sailing Club at the Friday night races next year.

First Vice Commodore's Report (Narcisse)

505 Status. The 505 is in need of repair.

New 18 HP Outboard. The new 18 HP outboard needs to be broken in.

Dressing Room. A new dressing room is being planned for the area behind the tool shed that now is used to store scrap wood.

Commendation. Narcisse commended Scott for his time in office, and Peter Kuhn and Peter Baczyk for their help during her last term.

Second Vice Commodore's Report (Olivier Colliou)

Windsurfing Status. The windsurfing equipment is in good shape now. The Novice Windsurfer sail shed is now permanent, and is very popular.

Windsurfing T-Shirt. Olivier unveiled the new Cal Sailing Club windsurfing t-shirt. Olivier designed the logo himself, and everyone was impressed with the quality of the design.

Third Vice Commodore's Report (Dan Acland)

Assistant Third Vice. Barbara Roos, who helped Dan during the last six months, will no longer be his assistant.

Dismasted Ensign. The mast for ADewey@ is finished being repaired, and he is looking for a way to bring it back to the Club to install. Steve Kingsley volunteered to use his boat to pick it up. Dan noted there will be some haul-outs in the next six months.

Racing. Dan commended Graham Hale for all his successful racing this summer. He noted that although some may feel racing the Ensigns results in more wear and tear on the equipment, he thinks the opposite is true, since the racing skippers keep the boats in good shape for racing.

Rear Commodore's Report (Louis Benainous)

Wednesday Night Lessons. Louis thanked Peter Baczek for running the Wednesday night keelboat lessons while Bob Collins was gone.

Dinghy Replacement Committee. Louis thanked all the people who helped him in researching dinghies for replacing the Lidos, including Alex Case, Peter Kuhn, Peter Baczek, Ed Shirk and Shari Adkins.

Port Captain's Report (Stephen Gehlbach)

Dayleaders. There are now five paid Dayleaders; two are leaving in the spring. Stephen encourages people to volunteer daylead. You must be a Junior to volunteer. He also encouraged people to give sailing lessons to Dayleaders, since he encourages all to obtain at least a Junior rating.

Clubhouse. Stephen noted that the Clubhouse smells better since the carpet was taken out.

Port Captain Position. Stephen noted that the Port Captain recruits and trains Dayleaders, and he has initiated talks with Cal Adventures to have our Dayleaders take their Whaler and emergency procedures courses. He endorses Jesse Smith to be the next Port Captain.

Secretary's Report (Bill Csajko)

Operating Rules. After about a year of effort, the Operating Rules revisions have finally been completed.

Listserver. Bill noted that Bill Moseley set up for the Club a listserver where anyone who has e-mail can subscribe and have all Club e-mail sent to them, plus be able to send messages to everyone in the Club on the list.

Treasurer's Report (Patrick Twohy, via e-mail dated October 22, 1995)

Mid-Year Budget Status. In comparison to last fiscal year, we are in slightly poorer shape, but not seriously so. We signed up slightly less members than last year this time (753 vs. 772), but October is doing real well and we may make up the difference. We are not selling as many t-shirts as last year ($150 vs. $280). Insurance costs are down by about $3,000. He does not have the latest Dayleader invoices so he cannot accurately report on this item. We are spending less on maintenance ($4,000 vs. $6,500). Racing costs have ballooned; we did not budget for the $2,695 in expenses, which includes $2,200 for new burgees (which we will be reimbursed for). Expenses for Bigfoot are down significantly. This report does not reflect any income or expenses that may occur between October 15 and October 31.

Account Balances. Account balances are as follows as of October 22:

Wells Fargo $20,288

Merrill­Lynch $19,226

Federal Reserve T­bills $40,000

TOTAL $79,514

General Discussion

Dinghy Replacement. Scott noted that the Club has been in the process of researching replacements for the Lidos for the last three years. Scott opened the floor for discussion of whether the Club should purchase eight new Hobie One-14's, subject to several minor modifications to the design. He limited the discussion to three minutes per speaker, for a total of 40 minutes. Speakers and their comments are summarized below:

Steve Kingsley: We have no experience with the One-14's on the bay. Dan responded that Hobie is putting away the mold for the dinghy, forcing us to make a quick decision if we want to replace our Lidos with the One-14's by next summer. Steve questioned why we needed to replace them by next summer.

Peter Baczek: He is against buying a fleet of One-14's when we have not thoroughly tested them on the bay. Scott noted that we cannot buy just one One-14; Hobie only sells them in lots. Dan stated that the dealer is unclear if we can purchase just one; he believes the real concern is whether we need to replace the Lidos by next summer. Louis stated he thought a decision now would be premature.

Peter Kuhn: He talked to several other sailing organizations who own One-14's. Overall they are pleased with the boat, being extremely slow and stable. He believes the Lidos we now have will always be in a serious state of disrepair due to their basic design. A hard chine such as on the One-14 will be more stable but may be harder to tack. He thought it could hold four people as well as a Lido. Louis stated he supports buying one One-14 now, since we are only speculating now about the characteristics of the boat. He thinks only a couple of the Lidos have significant problems with regard to capsizing, and perhaps they should be repaired or taken out of service. Narcisse stated the number of problem Lidos is really five.

Peter Baczek: Peter brought up the question of capacity again. Peter Kuhn stated that the new Lidos, having a double hull, will be similar in size in the cockpit and thus will have similar capacity. Peter Kuhn said you could not buy a dinghy such as our current Lidos, since no one manufactures hulls with a single layer bottom anymore.

Veronique Anxolabehere: She stated that three months ago we were asked to vote on buying a Capri 16.5, which was rejected, and as a result of test sailing was eliminated from consideration. We have since analyzed all our options and narrowed our choices down to two boats. She is reluctant to accelerate the decision process and wants to have the One-14 tried out on the bay.

Steve Kingsley: The fleet of Lidos was scheduled to be replaced three or four years ago, so we should not rush the final decision.

Eric Wittig: Eric asked if we could get a One-14 here in the next few weeks to test sail. Dan stated he could not convince the dealer to do so. Rebecca Haussmann volunteered to try to get one here.

Peter Kuhn: He encourages people to go to Lake Merritt to try out the keel version of the One-14 they have there.

Keith Dalphin: He feels the dealer should provide us a boat to try out if we are going to order eight of them.

Scott Hotes: The One-14 is easy to right after a capsize, compared to a Capri 16.5.

Stephen Gehlbach: We cannot buy Lidos like the ones we have anymore, so we cannot compare new dinghies to them.

Scott Hotes: It is unreasonable to send out new members in the old Lidos next summer due to the potential safety problem. It was noted that a new Lido will be here for a test sail on December 9. Scott moved to purchase eight new Hobie One-14's. Bill seconded the motion. The motion failed, with 10 votes in favor, 14 votes against, and four abstentions. The main reason for the abstentions was the lack of adequate testing of the boat.

Peter Kuhn: He noted that the One-14 is made only for teaching facilities, and is not a stock item, and therefore we may not be able to locate one around for us to test if we cannot purchase just one.

ELECTIONS

The election results are as follows (note that since a quorum was not present, the vote is not official and will only be used to guide the Executive Committee to replace officers at the next Executive Committee meeting who resign from their positions):

Commodore. Bill Csajko was nominated by Peter Kuhn, seconded by Todd Price. Bill accepted the nomination. Eric Wittig was nominated by Dan Acland, seconded by Rebecca Haussmann. Eric Wittig accepted the nomination. Bill won the election by secret ballot.

Vice Commodore. Veronique Anxolabehere was nominated by Bill Csajko, seconded by Robert Ofsevit. There were no other nominations, and Veronique won by unanimous vote.

First Vice Commodore. Narcisse was nominated by Louis Benainous, seconded by Dan Acland. Tim Brandon was nominated by Steve Kingsley. Tim declined the nomination. There were no other nominations, and Narcisse won by unanimous vote.

Second Vice Commodore. Olivier Colliou was nominated by Scott Hotes, seconded by Veronique Anxolabehere. Olivier accepted the nomination. There were no other nominations, and Olivier won by a near-unanimous vote, with one abstention.

Third Vice Commodore. Dan Acland was nominated by Bill Csajko, seconded by Rebecca Haussmann. Dan accepted the nomination. There were no other nominations, and Dan won by unanimous vote.

Rear Commodore. Louis Benainous was nominated by Veronique Anxolabehere, seconded by Sylvaine Guille. Louis accepted the nomination. There were no other nominations, and Louis won by a near-unanimous vote, with one abstention.

Port Captain. Jesse Smith was nominated by Stephen Gehlbach, seconded by Narcisse. Jesse accepted the nomination. There were no other nominations, and Jesse won by unanimous vote.

Treasurer. Patrick Twohy was nominated by Scott Hotes, seconded by Constance Goodwin. Patrick had previously provided Scott a note saying he would accept the nomination. There were no other nominations, and Patrick won by unanimous vote.

Secretary. Greg Davis was nominated by Veronique Anxolabehere, seconded by Eric Wittig. Greg declined the nomination. Jennifer Kirkland was nominated by Greg Davis, seconded by Dan Acland. There were no other nominations, and Jennifer won by unanimous vote.

The meeting was adjourned at 10:20 PM. The next regular Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, November 16, 1995.