Email Discussion Lists
Several email discussion lists on yahoogroups.com host discussions among Cal-Sailing Club members and anyone else who's interested. These are not official CSC forums and in no way represent club policy.
The most popular are:
- the general discussion list which is generally about sailing, but also general interest including some windsurfing
- the windsurfing list which is for all matters related to windsurfing
- the keelboat list which is for issues related to keelboats
- the dinghy maintenance list which is for those doing dinghy repair
- the announcement only list for announcements about Cal Sailing Club
These lists are open to anyone, and are generally not moderated. The accouncements only list is moderated to ensure that posts are "official"
The number of emails on these lists often surprises newcomers. Don't sign up unless you are prepared for a lot of traffic. When you subscribe from a yahoo account you can specify that you do not want to receive any emails, and that you will only view the discussion on the web.
You do not need to have a Yahoo account to sign up, but it is highly recommended so that you can easily remove yourself from the mailing list or switch to the no-email, web-access-only option if you decide the traffic is too much for you. With a yahoo account you have access to the list archives and a few other features.
Due to the large number of "spams" and advertisements sent to the list, the lists are "closed", meaning that you must subscribe to the list(s) before you may post a message. The general and announcement lists can't be found by a search of yahoogroups' web site.
You are responsible for reading the listserver rules (below) and for subscribing and unsubscribing yourself.
Rules for the yahoogroups email discussion lists
- Never attach long messages, documents, photos, or anything else long to a message. Either post the Web address of the interesting item, ask people to email you directly for more info, or use the Files and Photos sections of the list sites.
- Don't post "me too", "I agree" or "count me in" messages. People with slow access to their email, or limited work accounts will appreciate it. And when someone obeys rule number 1 above, apply rule number 2 and email them directly (be careful! make sure that the email is going to them, not the list!) to ask for more info.
- Please use a descriptive subject in your message. When replying to a message change the subject to reflect the content of the message, if the content of the message has changed from the original message, or if the original poster used a lame subject to begin with.
- By default, when you click your "Reply" button you will send a message to EVERYONE on the list. Make sure that's your intention. If your reply is intended to go to one person, please send it directly to that person -- their email address will be in the header of their post if you received it as email, or you can use the "send email" feature on the yahoogroups website. OK?
- In the Cal Sailing tradition there is no organized management of the list. You are responsible to subscribe and unsubscribe to the list yourself (see below for instructions). If you don't like the messages on the list, don't complain to ExCom.
- Remember, not everyone in the club reads the list, and it is not an official way of posting an announcement. ExCom uses the cal-sailing.org website to make announcements, the email discussion lists are for anyone who wants to post their own opinions, facts as they see them, photos they took, etc.
To subscribe to the email discussion lists, you should create a yahoo account if you don't already have one. Be sure to keep a copy of your login information in a safe place where you'll always be able to find it. Follow the links above to get to the lists, and subscribe by following the yahoogroups instructions. If you find you wish to unsubscribe or change your email preferences, do so using your yahoo account.
If you wish, you can subscribe without creating a yahoo account. You do so at your own risk; no one will help you if you find your email inbox overflowing and you have forgotten which email account you used to join the list. Here's how to do this, if you're so worried about yahoogroups stealing your soul that you're willing to ruin your email account: To subscribe without a yahoo account, send a blank message to firstname.lastname@example.org. When you subscribe to the list you will receive a confirmation message; reply to it to complete your subscription. To unsubscribe without a yahoo account you have send a message from THE SAME EMAIL ACCOUNT YOU USED TO SUBSCRIBE to email@example.com. IMPORTANT: If you use a forwarded email account to subscribe without a yahoo account, you will probably find that you want to unsubscribe but can't, and you will probably want to send messages to the list asking for help. Your pleas for help will be blocked from the list, but you will get list emails anyway along with all the spam we can collect from Nigerian princes, penis enlargement device salesmen, and tax resistance groups.