Sailing & Weather Links
A variety of sailing/windsurfing-related sites by CSC members and others.
Tides in Berkeley
These are predictions only, and the actual water level can be higher or lower depending on barometric pressure, runoff into the Bay, etc. The water by the west dock (the one nearest the club) generally goes dry at about -0.5' MLLW, approximately. The dayleader may opt to use the sketchmobile as rescue skiff, in which case members can go sailing and windsurfing if they choose, even if the mud under the dock is barely moist.
Currents for Cruise Planning
This is a great site, the Bay Area Sea Kayakers. Kayakers have to deal with current much more that we sailors do. This is an interactive map of currents in the Bay by date.
- NWS - Doppler Radar
- NWS - Bay Area Weather
- Cal Sailing Club webcams, windspeed, and tides
- Windy.com wind map
- NWS - Bay Area/Monterey Forcast
- San Francisco Bay PORTS
- BoatingSF.com - General Bay Area boating information, including real-time and time-lapse map of ship movements around the bay.
- Weather Underground
- Weather.org Stormwatch
Bay Area sailing links
- Berkeley Yacht Club
- Friday night races out of Berkeley
- Treasure Island Yacht Club
- Corinthian Yacht Club
Other sailing related links
- The latest Racing Rules from the International Sailing Federation
- Knots on the Web - Want to find out anything about knots? This place has loads of links to knot pages.
- Animated knots - Can't quite get down how to tie a bowline? This site has some pretty good step-by-step animations of how to tie bowlines, figure eights, and more.
- Other Local Sailing Clubs - Yahoo has a vast list of links to sailing clubs, including this one!
- Ever wonder what the Beaufort Scale is? This page from the National Weather Service in Chicago provides a history of the wind scale, charts and pictures.
- Tide data updated real time, including nifty Java plots of the data.
- Regular and marine weather forecasts for the Bay Area can be found at the National Weather Service.
- Iwindsurf (was: Call of the Wind) provides wind, tide, and current information about many windsurifng locations around North America and Hawaii. Get a pager that lets you know when it is time to leave work!
- San Francisco Boardsailing Association is a non-profit organization that addresses concerns of the boardsailing community in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Home pages by CSC members
- Fishmeal's Berkeley Water Front Resource Guide
- Fishmeal's home page
- ^bb^'s home page
- Bill Prinzmetal's The 10-Step Guide to Windsurfing
- Tides and currents for San Francisco Bay by Ed Corbett
- Svendsen's Chandlery http://www.svendsens.com, 1851 Clement Ave., Alameda, 800-824-2391, is our supersalty source for swedish snap shackles, self-tailing winches, trapeze harnesses, holystones, X-ply, and all the specialized stuff and savvy so essential to our sailboats' salubriousness.
- Sunset Sailboards, hosted by our own Kev Kan, (510) 919-0913, is the Bay's newest windsurfing only gear shop.
- Delta Windsurf, 916-777-2299, is another of our much-appreciated supporters, and a great place to get gear for the Delta and beyond.
- West Marine http://www.westmarine.com, is our local (Oakland, Richmond, and Alameda) and internet source for most of our hardware. It's a good place for foul weather gear, line, rigging, and just about anything else you can imagine spending your money on.
- Berkeley Marine Center http://www.berkeleymarine.com 843-8195 is where our keelboats get their haulouts right here in the Berkeley Marina.
- Grocery Outlet provides most of the food for our BBQ's, is the best place to get your groceries (including beer and wine) cheap, and their world headquarters are right over the bridge from us.