General Membership Meeting
In-person at the CSC Club House Sunday February 12 @ 15:00 (3pm). This is a non-voting meeting, there will be officer reports followed by food. Want to read the Treasurer's quarterly financial report? Click here.
Updates from our 2023 programs
The Cal Sailing Club monthly Open House/Introductory Sail gives you a chance to find out! Check it out here. These are the dates for 2023:
- Saturday April 22 coincides with Berkeley Bay Festival
- Sunday May 7
- Sunday June 4
- Sunday July 16
- Sunday August 20
- Sunday September 3
- Sunday October 1
- Sunday November 19
- How do I start sailing at the Cal Sailing Club? Read our lesson flow.
- Looking to get the Novice or Junior rating? Check the guide on getting these ratings. Senior testers who can help, please see this anouncement on how to enroll.
- How to get a Dinghy Test read this.
- Checklist for taking a dinghy on the water.
- Dinghy Junior Fast Tracks: Dates have been set for Fast Track 2023, but signup is not yet available. Click here to see the dates.
- Advanced Dinghy Lessons Start May 8: We will be offering Advanced Dinghy lessons every Monday beginning May 8, except for Fast Track weeks and weeks with holidays. These are workshops on advanced dinghy skills, including skills you'll need to pass a Senior Dinghy practical test. Details to be announced. Sessions will be announced each week.
- How do I start windsurfing at the Cal Sailing Club? Novice lessons start on April 16 and will be held every Saturday and Sunday (subject to tides).
- How do I report damage or make other requests? Use this link to contact our Windsurfing team (you must be logged in to use this link).
- Will Spargur, former Rear Commodore for Windsurf Instruction, has produced a set of videos on learning windsurfing.
- New Tutorial on Windsurf Board Repair.
- Detailed description of the windsurfing rating requirements is available. We have also started something to help you get your Senior rating.
- Revised Keelboat Basic Instruction Program: We have been working on revisions to the way we teach the basics of keelboats, and we are rolling these changes out now. They are described here. The various keelboat lesson levels are described here. Send questions or comments to the Rear Commodore (Sailing).
- Berkeley Reef. Sheldon Coad took these photos with the help of Bobby Arthurs, and the club skiff. They circled the Reef and took photos in several directions. Pretty impressive when you see it, and pretty dangerous when you can't.
- Consult the new manual on keelboat outboard motors.
Kayak and SUPs
A limited number of sit-on-top kayaks and stand-up paddleboards (SUPs) are now available for member use. No rating is required, but Day Leader approval is. This is a lower-wind activity, so the Day Leader may restrict use to the Novice Area or not allow it at all.
Want to get a rating/sign-off but don't know who can do it?
Access details on who can sign off on which ratings/tests/check-outs (e.g., the Day Leader can sign off on Novice Windsurfer written and self-rescue). If you are logged-in to the website, you will be able to see a list of members who have the qualification needed (e.g., a list of those signed-off on the Laser who can then sign-off others). This link is also visible when you look at your White Card on the website.